The Grand Staircase
The hall of the staircase – in the middle of the building – constitutes the most spectacular volume. The ground is superbly tiled with white veined and Campan green marble, green, the dominant colour in Petit Trianon, reflecting the greenery of the gardens. Honoré Guibert is the author of the wall sculpture completed into 1765 which was inspired by antiquity. The head of Medusa can be admired in the window-piers of the first floor landing. One can observe in particular the richness of the wrought iron and bronze-gilded banister, masterpiece of metal worker François Brochois, where the Marie-Antoinette’s initials, “MA”, have replaced those of Louis XV.
The Guards’ Room
This large room in the countryside royal residence was occupied by the bodyguards. The function of the room, preserved until the middle of the 19th century, explains its simplicity: a false stone cut wall decor, a large-board wooden floor and storage units. At the time there were also single beds with their mattresses and blankets.
This large corner room decorated with high panelling has preserved its original vocation. The billiard table of Louis XV was located in this room. The two settees and the bench which furnished it were covered with a beautiful Persian, a floral printed cloth, at the time. In 1784 Marie-Antoinette decided to transfer the billiard table to the first floor from the ground floor, where it was replaced by another, less attractive billiard table for the officers to use.
This room was only used to heat the dishes served at the royal table. The actual kitchens were located in the outbuildings, far away from the palace, so as to eliminate any nuisances from the palace.
The room, with a very carefully dressed splendid stone architecture, is covered with an astonishing flat arch, a masterpiece by Gabriel. It has preserved its vast hooded chimney, to the right of which the vegetable garden was restored according to the maps and inventories.