The mezzanine above the apartment of the Queen was used to house her domestic servants: a bedroom for the first lady’s maid, a second one for the lady-in-waiting who also had, in the back, in the areas with no direct daylight facing the stair-well, a room to accommodate her own service staff. The third room overlooking the garden, and located above the Cabinet of Movable Mirrors, was turned into a library in 1780 by Richard Mique, Louis XVI’s Chief Architect. The Queen called on his services for a number of improvements to her estate.
Under the Empire, the mezzanine was used for the lady's companion of Princess Borghese, then, under Louis-Philippe, for the housing of one of the Duchess of Orleans’ chambermaids; it was then that Nepveu created, in the back, a bathroom for the Duke of Orleans, connected to the apartment of the prince on the attic level by a new spiral staircase.
Room of the First Lady’s Maid
The functions of the first lady’s maid consisted in carrying out “the chamber service”: the levee, washing and dressing, walks and travels. She oversaw presentations to the queen in the absence of the ladies-in-waiting. Madame Campan was Queen Marie-Antoinette’s most famous lady’s maid. Born in 1752, Jeanne-Louise-Henriette Genet became, in 1768, reader to Mesdames, the daughters of Louis XV, and married Pierre-Dominique Bertholet Campan. Initially a lady’s maid, she was named first lady’s maid to the queen in 1786, in survival of the baroness de Misery. The alcove of this room was equipped with doors during the revolution.
Room of the Lady-in-Waiting
When Marie-Therese de Savoy-Carignan, Princess of Lamballe, was named by the Queen in 1775, Superintendent of her House, the countess of Noailles gave up her responsibilities as lady-in-waiting. Laure-Auguste de Fitz-James, Princess of Chimay, born in 1744, took over for her. This mezzanine room was thus for her. The princess remained lady-in-waiting until the fall of monarchy. Always there for the queen, the lady-in-waiting supervised her schedule, was present, behind the Superintendent, at the levee of the queen, escorted her to mass, to her public meals, and took part in her walk and games.
The cupboards covered with wire mesh, which disappeared in the 19th century, were restored in 2008 according to the drawings of the architect Mique dating back to 1780. The few books from the library at Trianon are bound in calfskin; they bear the queen’s coat of arms on the front and the initials “CT” (Château de Trianon) underneath the royal crown on the back.
The bathroom and adjoining English-style water closet were created by the architect Nepveu at the request of King Louis-Philippe in 1837 for the apartment of the king’s eldest son, Ferdinand, Duke of Orleans, and his wife, the German princess Hélène-Louise- Elisabeth de Mecklembourg-Schwerin.