Inspired by Ovid’s Metamorphoses, the Latona fountain illustrates the legend of Apollo’s mother and Diana protecting her children against the insults of the peasants of Lycia, and calling on Jupiter to avenge them. He heard their plea and transformed them into frogs and lizards.
The central marble group sculpted by the Marsy brothers represents Latona and her children. The group was originally placed on a rock in 1670. It was surrounded by six frogs emerging partly from the water, and twenty-four others around the fountain on the lawn. The goddess then looked towards the Château. This arrangement was modified by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1687 and 1689. The rock was replaced on a concentric marble base and the Latona group henceforth gazes towards the Grand Canal. The Latona fountain is prolonged by a parterre holding the two lizard pools.