Twenty years after being built Trianon was too small to house all of Louis XIV’s family. Shortly before his death in 1708, Jules Hardouin-Mansart built this wing, Trianon-sous-Bois, whose sober elegance ushered in the eighteenth-century style. The king’s sister-in-law, Madame Palatine, and her children were the first to occupy the group of apartments in this part of the building.
Louis-Philippe had Louis XIV’s former billiard room turned into a chapel, where his second daughter, Princess Marie, married Duke Alexander of Würtemberg on 17 October 1837. The columns flanking the altar come from the Bosquet des Dômes. The stained-glass window was commissioned from the Manufacture de Sèvres and depicts The Assumption of the Virgin after Pierre-Paul Prud’hon.
The General’s Office
Between 1962 and 1967 Charles de Gaulle had Trianon-sous-Bois restored as guest quarters for the presidents of France. His office can still be seen here.