This apartment, which enjoys a splendid view of the North parterre and Marly forest, is located in the attic above the State Apartment of the King, above the Mercury and Apollo salons. It was initially occupied, in 1743-1744, by the Duchess of Chateauroux and her sister the Duchess of Lauraguais. After the death of Madame de Chateauroux, Louis XV gave it to Madame de Pompadour, who occupied it from 1745 to 1750.
You cross a wardrobe where the dresses of the king’s favourite were put away and above which the bedroom of the lady’s maid was located. On the left, a few steps lead to the calotte of the War salon, around which Louis XV had several tiny rooms built, hung with different coloured damasks, which have now disappeared.
From there you enter a study, then another study, followed by the living room, which was initially the bedroom of Madame de Chateauroux, then, up until 1748, that of Madame de Pompadour. The beautiful woodwork was painted in white and green “Martin’s varnish”. The quality furniture that can be seen there today dates back to the 18th century, but it did not belong to Madame de Pompadour. Behind the alcove, there is a water closet and a servant’s room.
The next two rooms were originally one single room: it was the living room, which was divided in 1748 to form an antechamber and Madame de Pompadour’s new bedroom, whose woodworks are the work of Verberckt.
Beyond the room, there were two antechambers, which have now disappeared, one of which was used as a dining room. Nearby, the king’s favourite had a “flying chair” installed, a genuine little lift which could be manoeuvred by means of a wheel and a counterweight.
In 1750, the relations between Louis XV and the Marquise changed: having ceased to be his mistress, she nevertheless remained his friend and confidante. It was then that she left this apartment to settle on the ground floor of the palace, where before long the King’s youngest daughters became her neighbours.