Ch√Ęteau de Versailles

Trains evoking the palace of Versailles

The partnership

Since 16 May 2012, the carriage interiors of some trains of the RER C rail line are completely decorated with views of the palace and gardens of Versailles.

In the framework of a partnership concluded between the Palace of Versailles and the SNCF, carriages completely decorated with views of the Palace will start running on the RER C line in 2012 for at least 18 months. The carriages will have views of different places and decorative features of Versailles adapted to their interiors to evoke the diversity and rich atmospheres of the Palace and its collections.

The reproduced views evoke key attractions of the Palace of Versailles, including the Hall of Mirrors, the Battles Gallery, the gardens and the groves, as well as more intimate places such as the bedchamber of the Queen in Trianon, the Cupid’s Temple and the Belvedere in Marie-Antoinette’s Estate, the peristyle of the Grand Trianon, the Library of Louis XVI and the Coronation coach of Charles X.

The first train with the views of Versailles went on the rails in May 2012. Four additional trains will benefit from the same interior decoration by the end of August 2012, enabling regular passengers of the RER C to enjoy a virtual visit and visitors on the way to the Palace to have a foretaste of Versailles.

Designed by: Encore Eux, based on photographs by Christian Milet, Jean-Marc Manaï and Thomas Garnier.


This operation is organised in partnership with the

The views

Since 16 May 2012, the carriage interiors of some trains of the RER C rail line are completely decorated with views of the palace and gardens of Versailles.

The hall of Mirrors


In the centre of the Palace of Versailles, the Hall of Mirrors, or Grand Gallery, decorated for Louis XIV, is today its most emblematic place.

Its vaulted ceiling is decorated with 35 compositions of the painter Charles Le Brun and each one celebrates a high point in the reign of the Sun King.

 


The French-style formal gardens


The French-style formal gardens of the Palace of Versailles were designed by André Le Nôtre at the request of Louis XIV. Consisting of parterres of flowerbeds, pools with fountains and groves, they are decorated with sculptures and organised around a long central perspective that stretches as far as the Grand Canal.


 

The Grand Trianon


The Palace of the Grand Trianon was built in 1687 and 1688 by Jules Hardouin Mansart and Robert de Cotte.

Also called the "Marble Trianon", it is probably the building on Versailles that best expresses the taste of Louis XIV, who wanted it to be intimate, refined and largely open on to the gardens thanks to its peristyle.




The library of Louis XVI


This library forms part of the inner apartments of Louis XV and Louis XVI (accessible on guided tours).

Designed by the architect Gabriel shortly before the death of Louis XV in 1774, it was one of the favourite rooms of Louis XVI who devoted his time here to his passion for the sciences and in particular for geography.



 

The Coronation coach of Charles X


A veritable masterpiece combining all the arts, this ceremonial coach was one of the last built in Europe. Designed in 1814 by the architect Percier and built by the coachmaker Duchesne for the coronation of Louis XVIII, it was used by Charles X who, on 28 May 1825, was crowned in Reims, thus re-establishing the principles of the monarchy of divine right.

This coach is on exhibition in Arras until November 2013

The Petit Trianon


This “Greek-style” palace built in 1760 in tune with the period’s taste goes back to Classical principles. Sobriety, rich but unfussy ornamentation, order and perfection characterise this new way of building that turns away from the rocaille style.

The Petit Trianon was given a complete restoration in 2008.



The bedchamber of the Queen in Trianon


Although it was designed at the request of Madame de Pompadour by the architect Gabriel, its is the memory of Marie-Antoinette which permeates the palace of the Petit Trianon.

Located on the first floor of the Petit Trianon, the bedchamber of the Queen was used successively by Madame Du Barry and then Marie-Antoinette.



 

The Belvedere in Marie-Antoinette’s Estate


Located in the English gardens of Marie-Antoinette’s Estate, the Belvedere was built in 1777 by the architect Richard Mique.

The painted interior decoration of this octagonal-shaped music pavilion evokes music, nature and the pleasures of country life.

Its reopening is planned in June 2012. Restored thanks to the sponsorship of the World Monuments Fund (Robert W. Wilson Challenge) and VINCI.

Also to be discovered in the RER C: the Petit Trianon, the Battles Gallery, the park of Versailles and the Cotelle Gallery.