The Château de Marly was built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart from 1679 on for the leisure activities of Louis XIV and his family. The estate then consisted of a château surrounded by twelve pavilions. At Marly, the king gave his full attention to the gardens. The landscape offered a variety of perspectives and the Marly "machine" provided the fountains an abundance of water that was impossible in Versailles. Although regarded as an architectural marvel, Marly and its gardens were progressively destroyed in the 18th century. Today, only the outline of the park and the foundations of the pavilions are still visible.
Opening times of the park
- High season, 1 April to 31 October, from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm
- Low season, 1 November to 31 March, from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm
By train: RER A: to Saint Germain en Laye, then bus no. 1 to Mobilien Versailles / Saint-Germain-en-Laye (get off at Louveciennes Village).
By car: motorway A13 (exit no.6 – in the direction of Saint-Germain-en-Laye) then the RN 186.