Dressed in a long-sleeved dress with a loose cloak that covers her hair like a veil, the allegory of Faith is tilting her head toward the cross she is holding in her right hand. Her left leg is resting on the base of a column and she is holding an open book against her left hip, a symbol of the doctrine of the Church.
THE SCULPTOR FRANÇOIS BARROIS
A student at the Academy, he received the Prix de Rome in 1683. He studied in Italy for three years and, upon returning to Paris, sculpted the statues of Vertumnus and Pomona for Versailles. In 1700 he was made a member of the Academy. He became a professor in 1706 and then rector in 1720. In 1707 he sculpted the allegorical statue of Faith for the Royal Chapel of Versailles. He also sculpted work for the Château of Marly and the dome in the Invalides in Paris.