The Palace of Versailles presents many operas, concerts, gala evening and ballets in some of its exceptional sites as the Royal Opera and the Royal Chapel. In May 2020 we will celebrate the 250th anniversary of the inauguration of the Versailles Royal Opera : discover the 2020-2021 musical season programme.
shows at the palace
Operas staged version
- The Mozart-Da Ponte Trilogy by Marc Minkowski and Ivan Alexandre, which would normally fill half an opera season: Le Nozze di Figaro, Don Giovanni and Così fan Tutte!
- Orpheus and Euridice by Gluck directed by Aurélien Bory and conducted by Raphaël Pichon.
- Monteverdi's Orfeo by Marc Mauillon and Jordi Savall.
- George Dandin by Molière and Lully, by Gaétan Jarry and Michel Fau.
- La Finta Pazza by Sacrati, directed by Leonardo García Alarcón.
- Don Quichotte chez la duchesse by Boismortier with Hervé Niquet and Shirley & Dino.
- Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme by Lully, Molière and Denis Podalydès - postponed from June 2020.
- Mathias Vidal as the hero of an exceptional Rameau festival.
- Valentin Tournet for a performance of Handel's Messiah and a record of Bach's Motets.
- Sébastien Daucé will present two Charpentier programmes.
- Sir John Eliot Gardiner for an admirable Saint John Passion and Raphaël Pichon with his magnificent Saint Matthew.
- Angelin Preljocaj will present two ballets for the festive season.
- William Christie is conducting three concerts.
- Philippe Jaroussky is on the programme three times, including for the first time as conductor.
- Gaétan Jarry has four projects all linked to recordings for the CD collection of Château de Versailles Spectacles.
Some revivals in concert and recordings for the CD collection of Château de Versailles Spectacles: Campra: The new century's destiny ; Cavalli: Egisto ; Corelli: his Trionfo Romano to celebrate the healing of Louis XIV. DeLalande: the famous Symphonies pour les Soupers du Roi ; Charpentier: David and Jonathas ; Clérambault: Grands Motets ; Desmarest: Circe ; by Vivaldi and Guido: two versions of the Four Seasons ; Rameau and Mondonville: their most beautiful Grands Motets. Finally, the Orchestre de l'Opéra Royal, after a splendid debut in Les Fantômes de Versailles in 2019, will be present for six projects including five recordings, a true season in itself!
And since Versailles is not Versailles without exceptional evenings:
• The Couchers du Roi (The King’s bedtime ceremonies) - postponed from June 2020 - will enchant the Louis XIV Apartments at nightfall.
• In the Queen's Theatre, William Christie will perform the love cantatas that Handel intended for the palaces of his Roman patrons.
• Rome was also the site of a sumptuous Trionfo Romano by Corelli for the cure of Louis XIV, this time hosted on the Peristyle of the Grand Trianon.
• Wagner in Versailles. Ludwig II of Bavaria would have dreamt of seing Wagner performed in Versailles, an association of his two passions: his dream will come true with Walkyrie in concert version (Rheingold , initially scheduled for Monday July 6, 2020, is postponed to Sunday June 27, 2021 (3pm) on the show WAGNER: LA WALKYRIE.).
After a spring-summer season reduced to silence, here comes a second chance to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Royal Opera of Versailles.
The 2020 - 2021 season
"With the support of the State, but also of all the people who love Versailles, we are fighting. We hope to get through this difficult period without letting go of what makes the Estate’s core greatness, so that it continues to shine throughout the world ", Catherine Pégard, President.
Make an online donation
Take part in the history of the palace of Versailles by supporting a project that suits you: adopt a linden tree, contribute to the missions of the Palace or participate in the refurnishing of the royal apartments.I support Versailles