The allegory of Faith is represented in a reclined position wearing a dress with a belt and a gown. Her hair is adorned with a ribbon tied in a bow above her forehead. In her left hand she is holding an open book symbolising the doctrine of the Church.
THE SCULPTOR GUILLAUME COUSTOU
The brother of Nicolas Coustou and, like his brother, a student of Coysevox, Guillaume Coustou left for Rome after being awarded the Premier Prix de Sculpture (1697). He returned to Paris before 1703 and was received at the Academy. He was employed by the department of the King’s Buildings at the Invalides, Versailles and Marly (Marly horses which are today in the Louvre). His style is characterised by the strength of expression and, in this regard, Guillaume Coustou was also an excellent portraitist. Most of his work at Versailles concerned the Royal Chapel.