The dauphine’s first antechamber
This room stands on part of the site of a chapel that occupied the upper ground floor and the first floor. In 1682 the chapel was demolished and replaced by an apartment used by the duchesse de Montpensier, known as “la Grande Mademoiselle” (1692-1693); the Grand-Aumônier de France (1693-1706), who directed the royal household’s religious activities; and the Grand-Maître de la garde-robe du Roi (1706-1712), who oversaw the king’s wardrobe. In 1712 a guardroom for the duc de Berry replaced the apartment. After his death on 4 July 1714, the room became part of the maréchal de Villars’ apartment. In 1747 its size was reduced by a third to form the dauphine’s first antechamber.
The paintings presented here evoke the Regency of Philippe d’Orléans, then the accession and coronation of Louis XV. A portrait of the young king painted in 1723 by Alexis-Simon Belle, showing him wearing his coronation costume can be seen. We can also admire a portrait of Philippe d’Orléans by Jean-Baptiste Santerre and portraits of two State Counsellors by Nicolas de Largillière: Thomas Morant and Louis-Urbain Le Peletier. Lastly, a painting by Louis-Michel Dumesnil: The Bed of Justice of Louis XV (1715) hangs on the north wall, and the Cavalcade of the King after the Coronation of 22 October 1722, by Pierre-Denis Martin, hangs on the east wall.