Madame Victoire’s First Antechamber
It was the former bath chamber of Louis XIV: the walls and floor were then covered with a mosaic of polychromatic marble, and there was a large octagonal swimming pool made of Rance marble, which can now be found at the Orangery. It was the interior chamber of the Count of Toulouse from 1692 to 1724, the Countess of Toulouse from 1724 to 1750 and lastly Madame Adelaide from 1752 to 1753. The bedroom of Madame Sophie from 1755 to 1767, it then became the princess’ first antechamber, then in 1769 that of Madame Victoire.
Above the doors there are portraits of two of Louis XV’s ministers: the Duke of Choiseul-Stainville by Louis-Michel Van Loo, and the Duke of Choiseul-Praslin, by Alexandre Roslin. The Martin’s varnish chest of drawers was delivered in 1756 for Madame Adelaide.